Sunday, October 15, 2017

Re-do 25th AAA


Since the last post on Friday the 13th we have been driving around enjoying the Australian Coast. I know that I have put a lot of pictures up on fb about the places we have been, but when they say pictures tell a thousand words, they might not be the words you want!


Saturday our time spent at Eurobodalla Regional Botanic Gardens was so complete. It had it all including a café with a lovely and helpful server. I'm not sure if I will be able to drink weak coffee from the states. The lady manning the information/gift shop went out of her way(literally) came out of the booth to advise us on what to see and how to see it. Lovely lady! The sculptures, and I did not put them all on fb, were such a variety of artistic mediums. Jim and I love that kind of stuff. So we wandered through all the walks that they offered and we learned about the large termite mounds and the dam and all the variety of Eucalyptus Trees. I was also very interested in reading "The Aboriginal Heritage Trail" which gave all the Botanical/Medicinal uses for the different plants and trees.








After finishing it all we traveled on to visit the Town of Mogo and to see the shops and that is when we found that everything closes at 4:00. We were able to walk through an art gallery that was a refurbished church with all the walls covered in hammered tin tiles. Pretty awesome, and then into an art gallery with many mixed media collage pictures. It gave me lots of creative impulses that I hope to rekindle when I return. REmind Me! Like I said, everything closed so we headed to the coast. We ended up in Malua Bay where we first encountered the blue slimy thingy on the beach. Avoiding these little things we had a great time walking, collecting shells and pictures. Loving the sounds, sights and smells of the Sea.
Back to the timeshare and while Jim loaded pictures onto his laptop I walked to the IGA and bought provisions for our week here. It is nice that the grocery and a restaurant are within the Resort. Quite convenient. After TV sleepy time

Sunday (Jim's Birthday)we had all planned out and started for a walk to Coman's Mine, an old abandoned mine. It was about half and hour ride on a dirt forest, where we actually bottomed out on a creek bed before we saw the trailhead. The walk was a pretty short and unimpressive one. The old mine was filled in, but the metal parts were somewhat viewable and I found some little pieces of quartz that called my name, or Ramona's.
It was the rest of this journey that was horrific in my mind and I will ask permission to quote from Jim's journal.
Jim's Journal entry: When we got back out a car was coming up the hill and I asked about a different way out. They gave me two options but strongly suggested I go back the same way I came . After a good look at the map I decided on option 1, German Rd. The road got progressively narrower and coated with twigs, sticks, rocks and leaves. All of a sudden Dee says "Jim do you see the tree?", I say what tree and she points straight down the road. A huge tree has fallen across the road blocking our path. I now need to turn around on a one lane backwood road with ditches both sides or back up about a half mile!!

Well, needless to say we were on an adventure. I am always amazed at the patience that Jim has, but this was a trial, not a trail. It took us many switchbacks up and down and around to get us off that mountain and we both agreed that we had enough of Australian mountain roads for this trip! When we were finally off (2hours) we were to late for window shopping so we headed for the coast to calm our nerves and feel the earth in a good way again, with our feet!
This time we headed to Potato Point and we were  not disappointed. We had sand under our feet, shells in my pocket and kangaroos abound. A lovely way to end a harrowing day.
A birthday that Jim will never forget. 
We saw this on one of the roads we were traveling on to get out. Not very encouraging!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment